Table of Contents
Let’s get some about how to Writing Alt text for images in Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress. All websites benefit from the use of images. They makes a site simpler to read, more visually appealing, and aid in the presentation of a topic. Adding a good alt tag to all of your photos enhances site usability and aids SEO for both imagery and web searches.
A text description applied to non-textual content is referred as alternative text, or alt text. Consider the use of photographs, diagrams, and infographics. The alt text on images tells you what they’re for and what they’re for. This allows those who are blind, visually disabled, or use assistive technology to view the content.
Additionally, when pictures aren’t imported, alt text is shown on the internet. When you have graphics turned off in your smart phone email app, for instance. For search engines that can’t “see” photos, alt text gives semantic meaning.
Let’s find out how you can add Alt text to your images on different social networking sites :-
How to Add Alt Text for images In Instagram
While Instagram, which is mainly a visual site, uses object recognition techniques to automatically construct a description of photographs for screen readers, you must always add the alt text personally to give your descriptions more context and colour.
- Upload a Photo or Video:
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Tap the “+” button at the bottom center to create a new post.
- Choose a photo or video from your gallery.
- Apply Filters or Edits (Optional):
- Edit your photo or video as desired using Instagram’s built-in filters and editing tools.
- After you’ve selected a filter and made any necessary adjustments to the image, click Next.
- Add Alt Text:
- After editing, on the final screen before you share your post, you’ll find an option to add a caption and location.
- Below the caption, you should see an “Advanced Settings” option. Tap on it.
- Enter Alt Text:
- In the Advanced Settings, you should find an “Write Alt Text” option. Tap on it.
- Enter a description of the photo or video in the provided text box. This should be a concise and accurate description of the visual content.
- Share Your Post:
- Once you’ve added alt text, you can proceed to share your post by tapping the “Share” button.
Remember, providing meaningful alt text is essential for accessibility. Aim to describe the key elements and context of the image or video so that individuals using screen readers can understand the content.
- Add Alt Text:
After you’ve posted something on Instagram, you can go back and edit the alternative text
Don’t bother if you forget to write alternative text before posting your image or if you want to edit something that you’ve stated — you may make changes even after your photo has been published! If you tap edit on an existent Instagram post, you’ll notice the options to “Add Alt-Text” on the lower-right hand side of the picture.
This will lead you straight to the field where you can enter alternate text. This is especially useful if you’re managing your Instagram profile with a third-party service that doesn’t allows users to add alternate text to your photographs before uploading.
How to write Alt text for images in Twitter
- Compose a Tweet:
- Click on the “Tweet” button to start composing your tweet.
- Add an Image:
- Click on the image icon to attach an image to your tweet.
- Write Your Tweet:
- Type your tweet content in the text box.
- Add Alt Text:
- Once the image is attached, you will see a small thumbnail of the image. Click on the “Add description” link (it might also say “Alt” or “ALT”).
- Enter Alt Text:
- A pop-up will appear where you can enter the alt text for your image. Describe the content or purpose of the image concisely.
- Save Alt Text:
- Click on the “Apply” or “Save” button to save the alt text.
- Finish composing your tweet and click the “Tweet” button to share it with your followers.
How to add Alt text for images in Facebook
- On your phone, open the Facebook app.
- At the head of your Newsfeed or timelines, tap Image.
- Choose the photo(s) you want to upload.
- To see a larger version of any of the photographs, simply tap on it.
- Select Edit Alt Text from the ellipsis on every photo.
- Hit Done after typing in the appropriate alt text.
- That is all there is to it. Your photographs will now upload with the alt text you specified.
You may also add alt text to photographs you’ve already uploaded on Facebook. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the image you wish to add alt text to and click it.
- The vertical ellipsis can be tapped.
- Edit the alt text option.
- Tap Save after entering your preferred alt text.
The method is quite similar when using the web version of Facebook—just search for the ellipsis when viewing the image you wish to add alt text to.
Why you should Add Alt text
- A screen reader would only read alternative text in the language in which you wrote it. If you have a significant foreign audience, Instagram captions could be translated into their primary tongue, allowing screen reader viewers to hear a narration of the photograph in their native tongue.
- The majority of Instagram scheduling algorithms, including Facebook Creator Studio, do not allow you to add alternative text to scheduled photographs; you must modify the photo and insert it after it has been posted to Instagram. If you include the image description in your remark, your shot will be more accessible right away.
- Web pages are crawled by search engines like Google and Bing. For them, reading text on a page is simple. With pictures, however, this is not the fact. This is when alternative text comes in. When conducting an image search, alt text is being used to define what the image is displaying to search engines, enabling them to provide excellent performance to visitors. Alternate text is an excellent area to use relevant keywords to enhance your website’s SEO (SEO).
- Image alt text may turn your photographs into hyperlinked search engine results which display in Google Images or as image packs, which is among the most essential things image alt text can accomplish for you. Image packs are unique results that show as a horizontal row of picture links in any usual position. Images which feature in Google Images or image collections are an additional source of organic traffic.